Friday, March 13, 2009

Abraham's faith

Well, it's been a few days since I wrote anything in here! Sorry about that -- it's been a tough week. Becky, I appreciate your comment on my last post. It's all so true! I just tend to lose sight of it sometimes in the fog! (BTW, I always appreciate y'all's comments. Forgive me if I don't get them moderated right away -- I forget I'm moderating and I have to approve them, but I think it's kinda important to moderate this blog ...)

ANYway. So I found a good journal entry from Jan. 24, 2007 when I was doing the deliberatePeople "through the Bible" reading schedule and actually journaling (I'm doing the schedule again this year, just haven't really journaled anything -- sorry Phil!) It kinda speaks to some of what I go through a lot, so I thought I'd post it here:

Romans 4:18-25
Standout verse - v. 18 (in The Message version): "When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he couldn't do, but on what God said he would do." Wow! That's pretty profound -- Abraham's eyes weren't on himself here, but on God. No matter what Abraham saw, no matter what the facts seemed to be according to the "natural" eye, Abraham saw with eyes of faith that God would do as He had promised, no matter how "impossible" it might seem, no matter the limitations Abraham might have in his flesh.

Well, Abba, You and I both know I really struggle with this very thing. I mean, not that You've promised to make me into a great nation or anything, but I'm always so afraid of my own failings, of my own weaknesses, that I don't even hear what You're calling me to do! And that's so silly, because if You call me to something, You're not going to just dump me and walk off. No, when You call Your children, You equip them! You give us what we need in order to fulfill the calling -- we only need look with eyes of faith.

So help me to do that, please, Abba! Help me to raise my eyes above my own limitations -- perceived or real -- and put them on You, the Author and Perfecter of our faith. Strengthen my faith, please, Abba. I don't want to miss out on anything just because I'm looking in the wrong place!

I love You!


Well, all I can say to that is -- Amen!

2 comments:

Becky said...

hallelujah and all glory to God our Father and to our Savior Jesus Christ.:) Paul say's it well, "When I am weak then I am strong".. It is not I but Christ who lives in me. Faith is believing what we can not see, it is like when I look into a mirror, I can see all the ugliness within me, that is Satan accusing me, for he is the accuser of the brothern, but faith say's "That which HE begins HE will finish". Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith from beginning to end.My comfort is in HIS word, I make myself focus because the only desire of our enemy is to "kill, rob and destroy". Why do you think Jesus and Paul spoke so much about "a race" "a battle" :) because this is war, all spiritual, once we can focus on that our faith becomes stronger. These are scriptures I memorize and speak daily to myself, to help me stay focused :) because all of us are attacked with worthlessness I know I do, but I fight back with the Word. :) :) Prayer for me is like a soldier waking up and asking the King "what is YOUR will for me today". Who ever said being a Christian is easy!!! It takes courage to fight the good fight, it takes tenacity to get up when we fall down, it takes humility to forgive those who have wronged us. Let me just end with one more :). The race is not given to the swift nor to the strong but to them who endure to the end.... I have failed the Lord in so many ways, but where can I go? who can I call? No body but Jesus, there is no turning back for us, we are closer to home to day then yesterday.
Have a great weekend, your sister in Christ :).

Stacy said...

Good stuff, there, Becky!! And, again, all I can say is -- Amen!